This week has been hard for me, and will be harder still tomorrow.
Wednesday was what would have been Mum’s 60th birthday, the first since she has gone. I’m not going to go into how hard that was, but I got through it.
Tomorrow will be Mother’s Day. Another big first.
So rather than dwell on what I have lost, I want to concentrate on what I have. On the things I am most grateful for.
There are so many good and wonderful things in my life, so here’s my top 5.
1. My kids. I have been so very blessed. I have 3 amazing boys of my own. They drive me mental, fight like mad, but I am so proud of them, and the great people they are becoming. I am also lucky enough to have gained 2 wonderful daughters. They are such a source of pride for me. I love watching the women they are turning into, and feel so privileged to have been a part of that.
2. My husband. He infuriates me and drives me nuts, but I wouldn’t change it for the world. He is there for me, loves me, puts up with my rubbish, hugs me when I need it, jokes to cheer me up. He is my everything.
3. My country. How lucky am I to be able to live in this amazing place. To take peace and freedom for granted, and know my kids have limitless opportunities. Australia is such a great place to call home.
4. My extended family. I am lucky enough to have great relationships with my extended family. Aunties, Uncles, Cousins. I know I can call on them whenever I need help, and they will be there. They love me for who I am, and support me through everything I do.
5. My Mum. She was the most wonderful Mum. She was strong. She would do anything for her children, and God help anyone who hurt us. She was smart, and taught us the importance of working hard to obtain your dreams. She was fun, crazy, kind, brave, totally unique, and didn’t care what anyone thought. She was true to herself always. She was my role model and guiding light, and I am so grateful that I got to have 36 years with her.
I am grateful to be so lucky in so many ways. I need to keep focusing on what is going right in my life. There is so much.
Life is good.